Egg whites are my new favorite breakfast food. In this recipe, I used 3/4 cup of egg whites which equals to about 20g of protein and zero fat. I recommend buying a carton of egg whites instead of using regular eggs; it is such a waste of the yolks! If you’re looking for a lean meal, this is it! I normally love to top my eggs off with salsa just for a little kick, but to my horror, there was none left in the fridge. I decided to make my own version of a salsa picada by dicing up some tomatoes, adding a few spices, and chopping up some spinach and kale. Gotta get the greens in! This mix does not end up looking like a typical salsa, but the flavors are definitely there.
Mexican Style Scrambled Egg Whites
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 yellow pepper, diced
- handful of baby tomatoes, halved
- small handful of diced purple onion
- 1/4 tsp garlic, minced
- pinch of chili powder
- pinch of S+P
- couple leaves of cilantro, chopped
- pinch of dried oregano
- small handful of spinach and kale mix
- Franks Red Hot Sauce
- Step 1 Heat a pan on medium-hi heat and add a little butter.
- Step 2 Measure out the vegetables and spices and place into a chopper or blender. Blitz until mixture has the consistency of chunky salsa.
- Step 3 Mix the milk and egg whites together in a separate container. Give it a really good stir. Pour into pan.
- Step 4 Cook for a few minutes until the egg begins turning white. Make sure to stir and break up the egg after the first couple minutes.
- Step 5 Pour salsa mixture into the pan with the egg whites and mix. Cook for another minute or two.
- Step 6 I like to top off the eggs with Franks Red Hot sauce. Yummy!!