There was a chill in the air, and we knew. Winter came early this year, and I can’t help but be excited! It means we are that much closer to the holiday season, where we surround ourselves with good company and delicious food. Yes, taking the dog for a walk in a blizzard is probably the least desirable task on a Monday morning, but the walk is beautiful. Everything is covered in white, and the air crisp. The snow sparkles underneath the streetlights and crunches every time you take a step. Love it.
Snow removal also does not qualify as a fun winter activity. I know my shoveling muscles have not had a workout since last winter, which means my technique is probably a little rusty. Remember, bend at the knees!! Now, what does qualify as a fun winter activity is baking. This roll is fairly simple and straight forward to make. It is important that you immediately roll the cake once it is out of the oven, otherwise it will just tear and break if you wait until it’s cooled. The cake will be hot, so be careful and take your time. When you are making the filling, always taste test. Make the caramel flavor as strong or as light as you like. I did not want the caramel to overpower the pumpkin in the cake, so I only added 2 tbsp.
TIP: Check the expiry of your baking powder and baking soda. These leavening agents are critical for the success of your baking! No one wants a flat cake. No one.
Pumpkin Spice Roll With Caramel Cream Cheese Filling
- 3/4 cup (96g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup pumpkin
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 (8oz) pkg of light cream cheese, softened
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp caramel sauce
- Step 1 Pre- heat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, whisk together the first eight ingredients (spices + flour).
- Step 2 In the bowl of your stand mixer using the whisk attachment, mix the eggs and both sugars until smooth and thick (About 1-2 minutes).
- Step 3 Add pumpkin and vanilla, mix until just combined.
- Step 4 Slowly fold in the flour mixture, adding small amounts at a time. Do not over mix.
- Step 5 Prepare a 15 x 10 pan with parchment paper. Make sure there is excess extending beyond the edges to make it easier to remove cake once baked.
- Step 6 Pour cake batter into pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 15 minutes. Baking times will vary. Please check your cake when there are about 5 minutes left to prevent from drying out.
- Step 7 Once the cake is done, you must IMMEDIETLY lift the cake out of the pan with the excess parchment paper and place on a cooling rack. The cake will be HOT, be careful. Slowly roll up the cake WITH the parchment paper going along with it (roll using the shorter side). Once rolled, leave the seam side down so it does not unravel and leave on the cooling rack for about an hour. Now you can make the filling!
- Step 8 Clean the bowl of your stand mixer and whisk together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, butter, and caramel sauce. The filling should be smooth and creamy with no lumps! No one likes lumps.
- Step 9 I had a few minutes to kill before the hour was up, so I did the dishes and tidied up. Once an hour has passed, and your cake is cool, SLOWLY unravel your cake onto a flat surface. Spread the filling evenly over the cake, taking care not to bring the icing all the way to the edges.
- Step 10 Slowly roll up your cake while peeling the parchment paper away as you do. Wrap cake tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour before serving.
- Step 11 When you are about to serve the cake, cut off the ends to make the cake look nice, and dust with powdered sugar.