Out of all the pasta out there, shell pasta is my favorite. I love how the sauce gets trapped inside, which means you get a perfect bite every time! What’s better than small shell pasta? BIG shell pasta. MOAR SAUCE!
Most of the recipes out there include ricotta cheese as the main filling ingredient. I don’t normally stock ricotta cheese, so I decided to make my own kind of marinara sauce filling. The sausage I used is from the Sunterra Market, called Valbella Tuscany Sausage. I know I have used this sausage many times before in previous recipes, but it’s just THAT good! It’s filled with Monterey Jack cheese and lots of herbs and spices that make it super flavorful! I had a couple leftover from the weekend, so I chose to use this as my protein, but any kind will do!
Sausage and Mushroom Stuffed Shell Pasta
- 15-18 large shell pasta
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 portabello mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sundried tomato pesto
- 2 Italian sausages, finely chopped
- 1- 650mL jar sweet basil marinara sauce
- aged cheddar, shredded
- Step 1 In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook pasta until it is al dente. This will take a little longer because the shells are larger than regular pasta. While the pasta is cooking, saute onions in a separate pan on medium- high heat.
- Step 2 Once the onions are translucent, add in the chopped garlic, basil, mushrooms, and sundried tomato pesto. Cook for several minutes until the mushrooms have softened.
- Step 3 Place the mushroom mixture in a separate container and set aside.
- Step 4 In the same pan, cook the sausage. Place sausage on a plate lined with paper towel and dab off the excess grease.
- Step 5 In a food processor or chopper, blitz the mushroom mixture and sausage together. Set aside.
- Step 6 Pasta shells should be done around this time, drain.
- Step 7 Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour half the marinara sauce in a casserole dish, and spread evenly. Begin filling the shells by gently pressing the ends of the shells so they expand to allow you to spoon the mushroom sausage filling in.
- Step 8 Place shells in the casserole dish as you go. Top off the shells with remaining marinara sauce and shredded cheese.
- Step 9 Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.